Sunday, August 31, 2014

High School Genius Hour/20 Time: Off to A Promising Start!

"I am so excited--I can't wait to start!" Music to the ears of ANY teacher! After conferencing with my students regarding their choices for the projects they would like to spend the semester achieving, I am impressed with their creativity and enthusiasm to try new things.

One student wants to learn how to paint. She began by finding artwork she admired; then she researched which type of paints and what media she would need to achieve a similar effect. She has bought her canvas, oil paints, and palette, and is ready to begin!

Another student was told that she would be preparing dinner for the family once a week, so her project is to "become a culinary master" by researching healthy and delicious menus her family would eat, prepare the food, and document her meal prep and results with photos.

One student is going to learn about and become certified in scuba diving.

Because one young man's cell phone dies "on every bus ride home from soccer matches," he is going to build a portable cell phone charger using household items.

Many of these seniors have decided to pursue career exploration opportunities such as interviewing and shadowing those in their prospective occupational fields.

I've already had one student ask, "If I finish this one before the semester is over, can I do another one? I have so many things I want to accomplish!" Wow! And I was worried the kids would have trouble coming up with ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment