Sunday, August 24, 2014

Jumping in to Genius Hour/20 Time with High School Students

I had been reading about Genius Hour over the summer and thought it would be a great idea to implement, but I wasn't sure how it could be applicable in my high school English classroom. I have finally decided on a plan that I hope will fulfill my students' required writings AND inspire them to enjoy learning, creating, and doing something this semester.The idea is that students first decide what they would like to do, make, or learn in 18 weeks. Then, for the summary, critique, and essays required for these dual-credit English 101 students to earn credit, students can find information, articles, and studies related to their chosen topic. In this way, students will be in charge of WHAT they write about--I'll just help them with HOW they write it.

I'm excited about the possibilities! I cannot wait to see what these kids can do when I put them in charge of their own learning. I don't have to worry about their recycling past students' essays on "why we should legalize marijuana" or "why the drinking age should be lowered" or others of the typical argument essays. I'm anticipating individualized essays reflective of the passion kids have for their chosen areas of study. I think the most difficult portion of the project will be deciding on a topic for some students, so I am looking for ways (maybe interest inventories or surveys) to help kids discover what they would really love to do or know. At the end of the semester, the students will present their products and what they learned in a TED Talk-style format, so deciding how they will demonstrate their learning will also be an issue. However, I intend to let the kids help me work out these issues and develop a truly student-centered, individualized learning experience for these students!

No comments:

Post a Comment