Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Only the Starting Point

Yesterday I received the following email from one of my students:

Just wanted to let you know I finished And Then There Were None, and it was probably one of my favorite books ever! For two nights in a row I was up until 1:30 a.m. pushing myself to read until at least the next murder because I was so curious. I just couldn't put the book down. I'm so glad you offered us to read that book and it was optional. I love the class!


Well, needless to say, that student COMPLETELY made my day! I have always had some reservation about offering an easy read such as And Then, but I keep coming back to the issue of engagement and motivation to read. Now what that student must do is analyze the book, which provides the depth in thought that simply discerning vocabulary in more difficult reads requires. He will have to select an analytical angle, a lens from which to view the writing, the writer, the themes, the topics--the possibilities are endless. In my mind, the text is only the starting point; where the student goes from there is where my interests lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment