Monday, April 12, 2010

Student Choice of Format: Preparing Them for the College Experience

Recently I read some research that described an issue that college writing teachers have been dealing with in teaching first-year students how to write, and it has made me more cognizant of how much I instruct the students versus how much I let them learn. In an effort to prepare them for what they will likely experience in mere months, I have been trying to provide general direction and letting them decide specifics for themselves. The latest project, a banned book project, was left wide open for students to write in any format they chose, and I fear the students were somewhat confused by the lack of direction. My goal is to get them to the point that they can find their own ways without much direction. My fear is that when they encounter college professors from several different courses, disciplines, ages, schools of thought, they will be unprepared to think for themselves. This is my goal--to teach them where to go to find what they need and feel confident in their decisions. We'll see how it goes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment